Today was a good day. I got to chat with Trish this morning on FB.... what a wonderful way to start the day! I don't get to get on FB, or my blog enough. I had a good patrol this afternoon, and just had some yummy chai tea and fresh bread with one of our local contractors. However.... I'm pretty sure I ingested a mouse turd in the bread. In fact, I just threw up a little thinking about it. Sometimes it's not so good to be uber-aware of your surroundings. Anyway, I'm still alive and now know a mouse turd or two won't kill me. =\~
Just to catch you all up, my R&R was awesome! Jason and I had a whirlwind European vacation. We met in Dublin, then flew to Paris... took the train to Munich... then to Fussen, Germany... Cinque Terre, Italy... Rome... and back to Dublin. I can tell you this much... 2 days in one spot is not enough time! But we saw a lot in a short time and ate a lot... it was nice. I will have to post pictures later (sorry!) because I don' t have my computer with me now. It's hard to say what the highlight of the trip was... either the Sistine Chapel or Cinque Terre for me. Or Suzanne's Bed & Breakfast and the delicious food in Fussen for Jason? Or just the awesome Guinness in Ireland!?! I sure enjoyed all the coffee too! Sometimes it was a little smaller than my American tastes prefer, but still delish!
So back to work... and time is actually going by quickly. Being here day to day it's hard to see the progress that has been made in our area. But if we can take a step back and compare now to when we first arrived 5-6 months ago- we have people working on projects in areas we didn't even go before and women are actually coming to the FOB (for claims unfortunately, but hey, they're coming). We are trying to get some kind of women's center or program started so they have a place to come learn skills together, and eventually be able to sell their things at the local bazaar once it's renovated. Big ideas! The schools in our area aren't up and running yet unfortunately. But we have all these kids that show up for work in the mornings, so we're trying to come up with some way to engage and educate them. We're getting somewhere, patiently and slowly. Today this little boy, who came up to my waist, ran up to me and wanted to shake my hand. He was looking to see if I had a bun on the back of my head as if he didn't believe I was a girl. It was so cute when he saw I did have hair and he busted out giggling! I am trying to be more patient with the ANA and ANP guys with how they react to us females. I look at it as an opportunity to teach them some manners... instead of punching them in the throat like I really want to do. But it has gotten better overall, at least in my opinion.
Ah, another address for the same place in the dust...
Kitty Powell
A/431 CA BN, FOB Wilson
HHC, 2 BSTB, 101 ABN DIV
APO, AE 09370
We don't need anything thanks to you all. We have tons of hygiene and girly stuff! If you are compelled to send something though, just snack/food stuff is great! We all love to eat. =) Healthy snacks are a big bonus for me so I'll quit eating processed JUNK all the time!
So today was a good day, but not all days are good for these guys. I'm always so impressed with them when I get to go out with them and see how they interact with the local populace... after having some really bad times. Continue to keep us and their families at home in your prayers.
Much love!
One question: Why did we not go inside the Temple Bar?
ReplyDelete